Sunday, September 14, 2014

Taking it out on the Meat

     It started with a mindless 'coffee in front of the TV' moment. Jaimee Oliver was 'whizzing' up a 15 minute meal (which I was only half paying attention to). Over the rim of my cup the sight of him 'swacking' a few chicken breast half to nonexistence caught my eye. Mmm. I could do that. I could totally take a few pieces of meat and beat them into submission; therapy and you get dinner. Now that is cooking!
      Later that day I grazed the internet, once again considering the violent notion of dinner pounded and put in a pan. A few sights seemed to offer up flavorful options along side some malicious beatings. That settled it; it was time to grab some breasts and get the mallet.
      The scene was set: four thawed chicken breast, patiently waiting their demise; a cutting mat placed in a baking sheet, perfect for catching the gory mess; a metal mallet formerly belonging to my grandmother, excellent for the dirty deed. Lacking in 'cling film', which I thing we all call Saran Wrap,  I opted to just do it outright and accept the mess. The cast iron skillet was heating as I took every bit of frustration out on that poor helpless bird. It was liberating and oh so soothing.
       Unfortunately, cling film was not the only thing not in stock- so was crackers, shallots, or fresh sage; items from the two recipes I was leaning toward. No worries. I improvised seasoning my beaten meat with smoked paprika, Cajun blend, and black pepper- blackened, beaten breasts seemed fitting for the evening.
       Let me just say, this is not only therapeutic, but a great way to get dinner done in 1/4th of the time; two minutes in the pan and done! I tossed some green beans in a small wok with a few almonds to accompany; it was delicious. Of course, I can't just pound poultry- no, steaks work just as well. I do believe I have discovered a new frustration buster (and a quick dinner plan).
 
Garlic Chicken 
  • Cajun Spice
  • black pepper
  • smoked paprika
  •  
  • 4  skinless chicken breast          
  • olive oil
  • Put a square of plastic wrap over each one and bash a few times with the bottom of a pan until the breasts flatten out a bit
  • Season liberally with each spice - both sides
  • You can either bake or fry the chicken • If baking, preheat your oven to its highest temperature (475˚F), place your chicken on a sheet pan and cook for 10 minutes • If frying, put a frying pan (mine was heavy cast iron) on a medium heat, add a few good lugs of olive oil and cook the chicken breasts for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until cooked through, golden and crisp
  • 1 comment:

    Unknown said...

    I was totally planning on making this for dinner tonight. I was going to make it last night, but got started too late on everything so we had leftovers instead. Yum!